Mocha Dream Bars (vegan & gluten-free)
by Lauren Toyota (hot for food)
Prep Time: 15 minutes + freezing time
Makes 10 bars
10 pitted medjool dates
1 cup almond flour/meal
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 cups raw cashews (soaked for minimum 3 hours)
¾ cup strong brewed Balzac’s Stout Roast
1/3 cup agave nectar
2/3 cup canned coconut milk
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
½ cup raw cacao powder
¼ cup agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Make the crust first by placing the crust ingredients in a food processor and combining until a crumb-like consistency is formed.
- Line a 9” x 9” pan with parchment paper and pour out the mixture evenly in the pan. Press the crust in an even layer on the bottom and out to the edges of the pan. Place in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Drain and rinse the cashews from the soaking water and place in a high-powered blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend on high until very smooth.
- Pour this mixture on top of the crust in the pan and freeze for 4-5 hours.
- After freezing prepare the chocolate topping by melting coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. Once melted remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate sauce on top of the frozen filling layer and spread out evenly with a spatula. Freeze this for another 15 minutes or until ready to serve.
- To cut into bars, lift the whole slab out by the parchment paper and peel the paper from the edges. Using a sharp knife cut the whole slab in half down the middle and then cut 5 bars across each half. Serve portions immediately and store any extra bars in the freezer in a container with layers of parchment paper between each bar.
Looking for more foodspiration? Check out Lauren’s Instagram